Who we are
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Health Service (ATSICHS) Brisbane is a not-for-profit community owned health and human services organisation delivering on the unique health and wellbeing needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in greater Brisbane and Logan.
We are the largest, most comprehensive Aboriginal medical health service in Queensland and Australia’s second oldest. We are determined to reinstate the wellbeing of our people—person by person, family by family, generation by generation.
We pride ourselves on providing health and human services, our way—supporting our people and community in our ongoing commitment to create a flourishing future and lasting legacy for them and their families.
We have five medical clinics, two dental clinics, a midwifery hub, child and family health services, youth services, social and emotional wellbeing programs and services, an aged cared facility (Jimbelunga), and a variety of family and child support services including child protection, a child and family centre at Waterford West, kindergarten programs and family wellbeing services.
Founded in 1973, our vision for our future is that we deliver healthy, connected Indigenous urban communities.
Helping our mob – by working with our families to support you and your kids.
Our Family Wellbeing team can provide in-home support and counselling and connect you up with others that can help.
Our vision for our future
To deliver healthy, connected Indigenous urban communities
Our commitment to our community
Reinstate the wellbeing of our people: person by person, family by family, generation by generation
Our reason for being
Every day we will:
- deliver services with cultural integrity and sensitivity on behalf of our peoples for our peoples
- advance the Indigenous health care sector, delivering positive, practical responses to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing needs
- strive to make a positive difference to the lives of our clients and their families
- respect the intent of our founders by our commitment to keep moving forward and remaining agile to meet the changing needs of our peoples
- provide a suite of tailored, integrated, evidence-based and measurable services that directly address the needs of our clients and their families
- enable and empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to improve their health and wellbeing through awareness, education and engagement
- integrate education, prevention and early intervention strategies
- remember we are many individuals but one organisation – together we provide a professional, seamless experience for our clients in a way that makes them feel safe and secure
- lead by being inventive, creative and bold in our service delivery while also looking for opportunities to collaborate, partner and integrate with other service agencies and sectors
- celebrate our identity.
Our plan for the future
Our community, our future, our way
Creating a flourishing future and lasting legacy for our people and our community.
ATSICHS Brisbane has grown immensely in the past three years with many significant and memorable achievements.
We have consolidated and strengthened our programs, services and models of care, including partnerships within the health sectors, to realise our vision to deliver healthy, connected Indigenous urban communities.
This new Strategic Plan for 2020-23 sets out the foundations for us to build a high performing, agile and innovative organisation that is focussed on delivering accessible services to our community.
It outlines our key priorities, focussed on a single goal to improve the health and wellbeing of our people.
Connecting with our community is important and we have listened, learnt and improved as we evolve into a high-performing organisation, recognised for the quality of our services, the strengths of our partnerships and our commitment to improving the health and wellbeing of our people.
Our 2020-23 strategic planning process gave us a unique opportunity to look back at our beginnings and our journey and to celebrate, but more importantly, look forward to our future.
Our Community, Our Future, Our Way commits us to five strategic priorities that seek to broaden and improve our primary health care and community services and ensure we are operating in the most efficient and effective way possible.